Part-Time or Full-Time Bike Mechanic
Start Date: February / March 2021
Who we are:
Opened in early 2017, Fix is a coffee bar and bike shop, all under one roof in downtown Toronto’s west end. In addition to serving as a local community hub for all, we sell smart and well-designed bikes and accessories, targeted at urban, central Toronto residents looking for a comfortable, stylish, reliable bike for getting around the city, and for fun all-road/adventure riding. The coffee bar focuses on serving exceptional quality coffee drinks, along with other types of beverages and some light food options, mainly baked goods, sandwiches and soups made in house.
What you’ll be doing:
- Ensuring the bike shop customer experience from start to finish is welcoming, informative, enjoyable and memorable.
- Typical tune-up, minor repairs, and new bike assembly and builds.
- Intake: Estimating required work and costs, and preparing work orders for customers.
- Educating customers, providing options, and helping them make decisions on repair and maintenance work required and optional.
- More complex rebuilds and overhauls as needed.
- Tracking work orders to ensure jobs are completed on time and ensuring quality control.
- Tracking repair parts, tools and supplies inventory, and identifying restocking needs, placing orders directly when required.
- Bike and accessory sales, assisting customers with product selection and processing payment transactions.
- Providing feedback and input to the management team on work processes, product selection and overall bike shop operations, for the purpose of continual improvement and refinement.
- Clean-up and other shop maintenance duties as required.
Who we’re looking for:
- A motivated team-player who understands hospitality and the customer experience.
- Competency with, or eagerness to learn, Point of Sale (POS) system for sales, work orders, ordering, and inventory control.
- Minimum one year of experience in the bike industry is preferred, though skill and personality are our priorities.
- Expert mechanic skills, including knowledge of older bike components, hydraulic disc brake service and wheel building.
- A solid understanding of bike sales and wide product knowledge.
- Communication skills, as a good listener and clear communicator.
- Strong organization skills, the ability to stay on top of tasks, and the motivation to stay busy.
- Interest and skills in web content design, digital marketing, including social media, writing and/or e-commerce are an asset, but not a requirement.
What you get:
- $16.00-$19.00 per hour, based on knowledge, skill and experience – approx. 20-40 hours/week depending on applicant preference and employer needs; some early morning and weekend shifts
- Top-notch coffee and tea on the house, and a warm and lively community hub as a workplace
- An opportunity to help craft and nurture a young, unique and exciting business concept and brand in Toronto
How to Apply:
- Send your cover letter and résumé to [email protected]